Veterans Support Services

Veterans Support Services

Saint Mary's College and the Department of Veteran Affairs

Saint Mary’s College of California is approved for the training of veterans and their eligible dependents under VA education benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Details and procedures are available from the Department of Veterans Affairs, Regional Office, P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888 or 1(800) 827-1000 or (888) 442-4551, or visit

As part of the Forever GI Bill® - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017, Saint Mary’s College offers priority registration for classes in the Fall and Spring (not Jan Term) to all veterans and veteran dependents. If you are currently a recipient of VA educational benefits, you will automatically be entered into the system to receive priority registration before the general student population. 

Applying for Benefits


Steps to apply for your VA Education Benefits

Applying for VA Education Benefits

Step 1.) Visit the VA education and training benefits webpage at

Veterans/Dependents may be eligible for one of the following categories:

Step 2.) The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility, of which a copy must be sent to Attn: VA Certifying Official in the Veterans Support Services office in Filippi Academic Hall, 190, or emailed to Kindra Stewart at  Please turn in this form, even if you are still awaiting your acceptance decision from Saint Mary's.

Step 3.) Once we have your Certificate of Eligibility AND you are enrolled in classes at Saint Mary's, we will begin reporting your enrollment to the VA so you receive benefits.

Managing Your Benefits

Picture of book that says Veteran Benefits

Managing Your Benefits

Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995)

If you have used your VA benefits before and you are changing your major and/or school, and/or you have been out of school for over one year, fill out the 22-1995 form on eBenefits.  If you are Chapter 35 you would fill out the 22-5495 form.  The form can be submitted online or download a copy and mail it in according to the instruction on the form.  St Mary’s will need a copy of your completed form.

Change in Enrollment and Student Responsibilities

All changes made after your initial certification should be brought to the attention of the VA Certifying Official so the change can be reported.  The most common changes include:

Failure to report changes may result in termination of benefits, delays in future certification, delays in receiving benefit payments and debt/overpayment with the VA.  Changes may be reported to the VA School Certifying Official in person, by telephone, or email.  Audits are conducted and changes in units will be reported, but it is ultimately your responsibility to report these changes when they occur to reduce the possibility of an overpayment or possibly an underpayment.

Caution: “W’s”: The VA will not pay for educational benefits for courses from which you have withdrawn, unless the VA determines that there are mitigating circumstances.

Financial Resources

Financial Aid

You can receive both VA educational benefits and financial aid by filling out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  You maybe be eligible for federal, state and/or institutional grants, loans, and scholarships in addition to your VA educational benefits.  In some cases, your financial aid can be affect by your VA educational benefits, but by filling out the FAFSA, you will maximize your funding for school. 


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at 


ROTC Scholarships

UC Berkeley ROTC offers Saint Mary’s College students the opportunity to participate in leadership training leading to a commission as an Army or Air Force officer upon graduation from college.  For more information  about the Army program, please visit or call 510-643-7682.  For information about the Air Force, please visit

Picture of 5 people standing inside the Veteran Resource Room

Veteran Resource Center

Veteran and Military-Affiliated Students are eligible to use the Veteran Resource Center (VRC), located in Filippi Academic Hall, Room 125.  The room is locked but the key can be accessed by the key pad outside of FAH124 and eligible students can obtain the code by contacting Kindra Stewart, the Veteran Student Coordinator at


The VRC is a space that any veteran and military affiliated student can use to study, relax, use the computer and/or network with other veteran students.  Coffee is available for Veteran students in the room and is provided by the Lafayette branch of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8063.  Snacks are also available and are provided by the SMC School of Economics & Business Administration.

Meet the Team

Kindra Stewart

Kindra Stewart

Academic Resources Manager, Veterans and Graduate Support Services

Certifying Veterans Affairs Official


Julie Scaff

Julie A. Scaff

Assistant Vice Provost, Student Support Services

Director, Student Disability Services

Section 504 Coordinator


Military-Affiliated Gael Events

Date Range